Faucet leaking at base of handle. One of the common problems you can face nowadays is your faucet leaking at the base of the handle.
The faucet often leaks from the bottom whenever cold water is turned on. It doesn’t leak when you turn in hot water. The hot water side doesn’t leak at all, and all the problem is caused due to the cold water side.
There can be many reasons your bathroom faucet is leaking at the base of the handle and causing trouble and inconvenience for you.
Faucet leaking at base of handle
The following are why your bathroom faucet is leaking at the base of the handle and is causing trouble and annoyance for you.
Seat washer is damaged
One of the main and common reasons that your bathroom faucet is leaking at the base of the handle is due to the bathroom’s seat washer being damaged and improper.
If there is any fault in the seat washer or it is broken, then this can result in the faucet leaking and cause trouble for you. To get rid of this issue, you must get rid of the damaged and broken bathroom faucet.
Solution to this problem
This problem of the bathroom faucet leaking from the base of the handle can be easily solved by replacing the broken seat washer of the bathroom faucet with a new one.
To do this, the first step is to turn off the water to the faucet that can be located under your sink. You may need a screwdriver to open the handle.
To replace and repair the seat washer, you need to remove the entire handle of the bathroom faucet.
Once you have unthreaded the screws and nuts of the faucet and removed the handle, the next step is to remove the broken or damaged seat washer that is causing trouble and inconvenience for you.
Rubber O-ring is worn out
Another common reason you can face that can cause your faucet to leak from the base of the handle is the Rubber O-ring that is worn out and damaged or has any fault in it.
When the Rubber O-ring becomes too old, it is often worn out and cannot be used again.
Then the best is to replace it because if you use the same worn-out Rubber O-ring repeatedly, this will result in leakage and cause problems for you.
Solution to this problem
Replacing a faucet O-ring is a common plumbing repair that can help fix leaks or dripping water. The following is a detailed guide on how to replace a faucet O-ring:
- Replacement O-ring
- Adjustable wrench
- Screwdriver (if needed)
- Plumber’s grease or silicone grease
- Turn off the water supply to the faucet by closing the shut-off valve under the sink. If there is no shut-off valve, turn off the main water supply valve to the house.
- Turn on the faucet to release any remaining water in the pipes.
- Use the adjustable wrench to remove the mounting nut that holds the faucet handle in place. This nut is usually located on top of the handle or behind a decorative cap. If the nut is difficult to remove, try using penetrating oil to loosen it.
- Once the mounting nut is removed, gently lift the handle off the faucet to reveal the O-ring(s).
- Inspect the O-ring(s) for any signs of wear or damage, such as cracks or tears. If the O-ring(s) look worn or damaged, replace them with a new O-ring of the same size.
- Apply a small amount of plumber’s grease or silicone grease to the new O-ring(s) to help them slide into place and create a watertight seal.
- Insert the new O-ring(s) into the groove(s) where the old O-ring(s) were located.
- Reattach the faucet handle by tightening the mounting nut with the adjustable wrench. Be careful not to overtighten the nut, as this can damage the faucet.
- Turn the water supply back on and test the faucet for any leaks or drips. If the faucet is still leaking, you may need to replace other parts, such as the valve stem or cartridge.
The most important part of this process is selecting the correct size of the replacement O-ring(s) and properly lubricating them before installation.
Applying a small amount of plumber’s grease or silicone grease to the new O-ring(s) will help them slide into place and create a watertight seal.
Overtightening the mounting nut can also cause damage to the faucet, so it’s important to use the adjustable wrench carefully and not apply too much force.
Leaking the bathroom faucet from the base of the handle is a very common issue that causes trouble for you, and you need to get rid of this issue and trouble as soon as possible. This is a kind of problem that you can easily solve without needing help from a professional.